Command Palette

Search for a command to run...

News

Iran Threatens Hormuz Offensive as U.S. Rules Out Truce Extension

Iran says it may shift to a fully offensive posture in the Strait of Hormuz after a 60-day diplomatic window expired. The warning renews risks for tanker traffic and global energy prices as Washington rejects Tehran's claim to manage the waterway.

Iran Threatens Hormuz Offensive as U.S. Rules Out Truce Extension
Click to expand

A deadline passes with the waterway still contested

Iran has warned that it could adopt a “fully offensive” military posture after a 60-day window for turning a June ceasefire memorandum into a broader agreement expired on Monday. A senior Iranian official said Tehran was prepared to escalate in the Strait of Hormuz and carry out a “timely and precise” attack to break what it calls a U.S. naval blockade if diplomacy fails.jpost +1

The memorandum, signed June 17, was meant to halt military operations while Washington and Tehran negotiated over Iran’s nuclear program, U.S. sanctions and shipping through the strait. President Donald Trump ruled out extending the temporary arrangement on Monday, while Iran said it would give Washington only a few more weeks to implement the deal’s provisions.businesstimes

Competing claims over control stall diplomacy

The central dispute is over who manages the narrow passage shared by Iran and Oman. Tehran says a clause in the memorandum recognizes its authority to manage traffic, but Washington rejects that reading; hostilities resumed after Iranian forces fired on vessels accused of using an unapproved route.jpost Iran is also negotiating separately with Oman over management of the waterway, though progress has been slow.businesstimes

The disagreement has persisted since the truce’s earliest days. In June, Iran said the strait was closed while U.S. Central Command insisted traffic continued and that Iran did not control the route. U.S. Vice President JD Vance nevertheless said 16 million barrels moved through in a single day after the interim agreement, illustrating how quickly flows can recover when fighting eases.cnbc

Energy markets price in another escalation

The strait carried about one-fifth of global oil and liquefied natural gas before the war, making even limited disruption consequential for import-dependent economies.businesstimes +1 Shipping had already slowed to a trickle during renewed fighting in July, when oil moved above $90 a barrel and U.S. forces launched another round of strikes aimed at reopening the passage.theguardian

Brent crude peaked at $126 during the conflict, about 75% above its prewar level, before easing to roughly $89 on Monday.businesstimes The retreat leaves prices well below their wartime high, but Iran’s new warning revives the risk of tanker attacks, higher insurance costs and another squeeze on Gulf exports. With neither side accepting the other’s interpretation of the expired memorandum, the immediate test is whether mediators can convert Tehran’s short deadline into talks before military signaling becomes action.