Command Palette

Search for a command to run...

Discover

Gas Explosion at Shanxi’s Liushenyu Coal Mine Kills 90, Sparks Probe

No image

A gas explosion at the Liushenyu coal mine in northern China’s Shanxi province killed at least 90 workers and injured more than 100 others late Friday, making it the country’s deadliest mining disaster since 2009. Rescue teams continued searching on Saturday for missing miners from the group of 247 who had been working underground when the blast tore through the shafts at around 19:29 local time. theguardian +2

State media said the explosion occurred at the privately operated mine in Qinyuan county, part of the coal‑rich city of Changzhi, after underground sensors detected rising levels of carbon monoxide and gas concentrations “exceeded limits.” nytimes +1 More than 200 miners were brought to the surface, but many suffered burns and inhalation injuries and were rushed to nearby hospitals. djournal +1

Rescue Push and Rapid Political Response

China’s Ministry of Emergency Management deployed six specialist rescue teams, totalling 345 personnel, equipped with drilling machines, gas detection gear and life‑support equipment to the site as authorities raced to ventilate tunnels and locate missing workers. dw +1 Footage on state television showed paramedics carrying stretchers past lines of ambulances while rescuers in orange overalls and breathing apparatus filed into the mine entrance. dw

President Xi Jinping ordered an “all‑out” rescue, telling officials to “spare no effort” in treating the injured and recovering those still underground, while Premier Li Qiang urged a “scientific” operation to minimise further casualties. theguardian +1 Local officials said executives at Shanxi Tongzhou Coal Group, which runs the mine, had been detained as part of a criminal investigation into the blast’s cause. theguardian +1 Authorities have not yet confirmed whether all missing miners were accounted for.

A Mine Previously Flagged for ‘Severe Safety Hazards’

The disaster raised fresh questions about safety enforcement in China’s coal sector, even as official fatality rates have dropped sharply from the thousands of deaths recorded annually two decades ago. theguardian +1 The Liushenyu mine had appeared on a 2024 national list of 1,128 operations flagged for “severe safety hazards,” including high gas levels, according to records cited in Chinese and international reporting. djournal It remained unclear what remedial steps had been taken before Friday’s explosion.

Shanxi, which produced more than a third of China’s coal last year, has long been a focal point for both energy policy and mine safety campaigns; the province has seen several major accidents despite repeated crackdowns. nytimes +1 Analysts said the scale of the latest blast, following a 2023 open‑pit mine collapse in Inner Mongolia that killed 53 people, underscored the persistent risks of methane and carbon monoxide in deep, gas‑rich seams. djournal +1 Xi called on “all regions and departments” to learn from the tragedy and to “thoroughly investigate and rectify all types of risks and hidden dangers.” nytimes

The Bigger Picture

The Shanxi explosion highlighted the tension between Beijing’s pledges of “zero tolerance” for major workplace disasters and its continued reliance on coal to power heavy industry and stabilise the grid. kdhnews As investigators sift through safety records, equipment logs and gas monitoring data at Liushenyu, families of the dead and injured will look to see whether the promised legal accountability reaches beyond detained mine managers to local regulators who signed off on operations at a site already branded hazardous. theguardian +1