Trump Orders Sharp Cut to Major U.S.-South Korea Military Drills
Donald Trump ordered the Pentagon to sharply reduce the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise with South Korea, creating uncertainty over readiness and alliance coordination while signaling interest in renewed diplomacy with North Korea.

A last-minute order meets an exercise already underway
President Donald Trump directed the Pentagon on Sunday to “substantially reduce” joint military exercises with South Korea, hours before the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise began. The order arrived too late to cancel the drills, which are scheduled for August 17-27 and involve 18,000 South Korean troops.aljazeera +1 Seoul’s Defense Ministry said the exercise would proceed as previously announced, leaving the scale and timing of any U.S. cuts uncertain.aljazeera
Trump described the drills as costly and as an “inappropriate and hostile” signal to North Korea. He tied the decision to his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and also criticized Seoul for declining to support U.S. action over Iran.amp +1
Readiness plans now face a moving target
Ulchi Freedom Shield is one of the allies’ two principal annual exercises, intended to prepare their forces for a conflict with nuclear-armed North Korea. This year’s program includes responses to drones, GPS disruption and cyberattacks, reflecting changes in Pyongyang’s capabilities.amp Even before Trump’s order, field training had been trimmed to 14 battalion-level exercises from 17 in 2025 as South Korea sought to ease tensions.koreatimes
The exercise also carries unusual weight for Seoul’s effort to regain wartime operational control from Washington. South Korea views the drills as a venue for assessing whether it can lead combined forces, although this year’s program omits a command exercise in which a South Korean deputy would assume the top combined-force role.koreatimes A substantial U.S. pullback could therefore affect both near-term readiness and the longer timetable for transferring command.
A diplomatic bet carries alliance risks
The move appears designed to reopen space for direct talks with Kim, echoing Trump’s first term, when major exercises were suspended or reduced. Emma Chanlett-Avery of the Asia Society Policy Institute said Trump may be returning to “unfinished business” with Kim, but warned that the North Korean leader now has greater leverage and little appetite for negotiations.yna +1
North Korea has not treated the alliance as unthreatening: it launched ballistic missiles twice this month and denounced the exercise as preparation for confrontation.koreaherald +1 Democratic Senator Andy Kim said decisions on joint drills should be made with Seoul rather than announced unilaterally on social media.yna The central test is whether the concession produces talks with Pyongyang or instead weakens confidence in an alliance already balancing deterrence, diplomacy and South Korea’s push for greater command authority.